Friday, June 02, 2006

And also when I saw the ghat where they burn the bodies and scatter the ashes into the ganges, and when I had first come and visited the assi ghat, and when I saw so many people meeting there, separated from each other by untraversible chasms, and I wondered that something has still brought them to one place, and I looked at the holy ganges, and I perceived why it was revered through the ages as a mother, and tears filled my eyes that it was perhaps the meaning of my life to come here, and see the rituals and perhaps wonder at the meaning of my life, and I felt never so content as I was when I sat on the banks of the holy river and looked all around me at the chanting priests and the tolling bells and the hush falling like a mist all around, and the chants blending into silence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home